Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover!


My favourite quote from 'Slammed by Colleen Hoover'.
 
I have been contemplating whether I should do one of these book reviews for a while, but wasn't sure how it would be received. I decided that reading was such a big part of me that it would be silly not too. So I have reviewed for you one of my all time favourite books, 'Slammed by Colleen Hoover'.
 
To summarise the story without giving anything away, Slammed is a book about a young girl called Layken Cohen and how she deals with her mother's terminal cancer, and her love for Will Cooper, her new neighbour who she definitely didn't expect to see on her first day of school.
 
When I first saw this book in the shops a few years ago, I will admit that I judged the book by it's cover and thought the design didn't really appeal to me to the story wouldn't either. After seeing it on the shelves on my weekly trip to the book store for 6 whole months and while struggling to find something interesting, I decided to actually pick it up and read the blurb. Needless to say, I waltzed straight to the counter and handed over my money, and I was not disappointed.
 
This story had me crying and laughing all at the same time. With cheeky story line twists that leave you wanting more, I managed to finish the whole book in a 5 hour sitting. (And might I quickly add that the next morning was a quick run back to the book shop for the sequel, Point of Retreat!) While the reading material isn't exactly challenging to comprehend in Slammed, keep in mind it is a young adult fiction book, so what else should you expect?
 
This book could be relatable to a lot of different teens, due to the difficulties that a lot of different characters face, and Hoover has been very smart in how she has managed to tie them all into the same book. For me personally, I think this book taught me to realise how lucky I actually am to not have been in the same circumstances that the characters were facing. It also brings a real sense of what family really means and that definitely spoke volumes to me.
 
I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for an easy by exciting read. And on that note, I would like to apologise to Colleen Hoover for judging her book by it's cover, those 6 months without Slammed were such a waste now that I know what I was missing!
 
All my love, Jem. x